Latin name: Galax Urceolata
Length: 5 – 10 cm
Country of origin: U.S.A.
Availability: All year round
The story of
Galax (or Urceolata) is also called the wall plant, or beetle herb.
The leaf forms a rosette and has a serrated edge and is matt-gloss dark green in color. In winter, near Christmas, it turns into reddish-brown. The plant retains its leaves in winter and is therefore hardy. The stems grow to about 5 to 10 cm, and in some cases 15 cm. In spring, until summer, the plant produces long white flowers.
Heart shaped leaves
perfect for corsages
Where does Galax grow?
Galax grows in shady places in the forests of the Appalachian Mountains, an area on the border between North and South Carolina, America. The town of Burnsville is the beating heart of the industry.
From field to bouquet
The leaves are harvested in the wild by groups of pickers. The pickers deliver the leaves to suppliers in large bags. Here the product is selected by size. There are two sizes: Regular and Super. Picking is not done between mid-April and mid-June to give new crops the opportunity to grow.
Did you know
The leaves are also used in herbal medicine to treat cuts and kidney ailments?
And did you know that the town of Galax in Virginia is named after the plant?
The leathery dark green and reddish brown leaves have a round (heart) shape, and are ideal for small arrangements and corsages, partly due to the serrated edges and short stems. Putting these leaves together creates the most beautiful creations!
The shape of the leaf provides a calming feeling in your arrangement. A lot of florists use these leaves to make corsages for weddings.
the ADOMEX webshop
- Find a broad and diverse assortment of beautiful decoration green
- Adomex offers more then cut and decoration green. We also provide preserved and painted products and natural decoration articles
- The webshop works on all devices and is very user-friendly
- Become a customer to get access to our webshop
- When you already are a Adomex customer you can log in automatically and start buying
- Don’t have a login yet? You can also access our webshop as a visitor